Cost of an Ambulance Ride
Search below to compare the cost of an ambulance ride near you.
The cost of an Ambulance ride depends on a number of factors.
- Do you require Basic Life Support (BLS) or Advance Life Support (ALS) during the ambulance ride?
- Basic Life Support (BLS) – transport for patients who do not require extra support or cardiac monitoring. Examples include lower extremity fractures, discharges to home and sub-acute care facilities (nursing homes), medical and surgical patients who do not require cardiac monitoring, Psychiatric Patients.
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) – transport for patients who need a higher level of care during transport such as advanced airway support, IV therapy, advanced drug administration or cardiac monitoring. Patients who typically require ALS transport include: Any medical/surgical patient with a continuous IV medicine, any patient on a Cardiac Monitor, Obstetrical Patients, Patients from urgent care centers, Patients with potential airway compromise, Any patient deemed to have a potential complication during transport.
- The distance traveled
- In addition to the base charge (BLS vs. ALS), there is a per mileage charge.
- Is the ambulance for specialty care transport?
- Specialty Care Transport is used to transport patients from one facility to another and frequently provides an appropriate means of transferring an acutely ill patient from a rural health care facility to an urban center. It is an ambulance that is staffed with a higher level of equipment and higher trained staff than for BLS or ALS transport.
- Most importantly, what is the price the individual ambulance company charges?
Average, lowest and highest price tags for Ambulance Services in the country
|Ambulance Service||Number of Ambulance Companies||Average Price Tag||Lowest National Price||Highest National Price|
|A0425 – Ground mileage, per statute mile||9,420||$14.29||$1.05||$346.47|
|A0429 – Ambulance service, basic life support, emergency transport (bls-emergency)||8,238||$631.17||$125.00||$4,687.50|
|A0427 – Ambulance service, advanced life support, emergency transport, level 1 (als1-emergency)||7,231||$866.95||$130.77||$5,346.96|
|A0428 – Ambulance service, basic life support, non-emergency transport, (bls)||3,331||$542.66||$95.00||$3,189.19|
|A0433 – Advanced life support, level 2 (als 2)||1,978||$1,095.23||$393.22||$5,463.00|
|A0426 – Ambulance service, advanced life support, non-emergency transport, level 1 (als 1)||1,849||$799.36||$225.00||$4,722.78|
|A0434 – Specialty care transport (sct)||701||$1,600.66||$380.00||$11,377.87|
|A0431 – Ambulance service, conventional air services, transport, one way (rotary wing)||275||$19,249.40||$4,902.45||$30,829.94|
|A0436 – Rotary wing air mileage, per statute mile||273||$189.34||$44.61||$314.91|
|A0430 – Ambulance service, conventional air services, transport, one way (fixed wing)||66||$15,146.02||$700.00||$30,755.06|
|A0435 – Fixed wing air mileage, per statute mile||66||$107.02||$9.15||$274.76|
|A0999 – Unlisted ambulance service||40||$612.26||$250.00||$887.50|
|A0432 – Paramedic intercept (pi), rural area, transport furnished by a volunteer ambulance company which is prohibited by state law from billing third party payers||29||$670.02||$275.00||$1,023.34|